Are you looking for the best cold weather sleeping bags? If yes, then you’ve come to the right place. In this article, we’ll share our top picks for the best cold weather camping gear.
Camping is a great way to get out into nature for some much-needed solitude. The outdoors provides a refreshing change from the hustle and bustle of city life. Camping also provides a unique opportunity to bond with family and friends whilst taking advantage of the great outdoors.
There are several things to consider before heading out into the wilderness. First, you should always check the weather forecast before going camping. This will ensure that you pack the proper clothing and camping equipment.
Regardless of whether you are camping or hiking in the winter or summer, heading out for a day trip, or a longer trekking expedition, you may want to pack appropriately. This may include considerations for the best thin gloves for extreme cold, what you should wear when hiking in hot weather, how to insulate your tent for winter camping, or how to stay warm in your tent in colder climates.
Second, you should bring along enough food and water to last the entire trip. Thirdly, you should choose a campsite that offers shelter from the elements. And finally, you should plan ahead and prepare for any unexpected eventualities.
Of course, if you are planning to camp in colder temperatures, then one key consideration would be where to find the best cold weather sleeping bags? What features does one of these cold weather sleeping bags have to give you the warmest sleep?
What materials should your sleeping bags be made from? Do you need a thermal sleeping bag and what other options are available? How much will you have to pay for a decent cold weather sleeping bag?
Well, if you are wanting the answer to these questions, then we would suggest that you keep reading.
We have compiled a list of some of the best cold weather sleeping bags that you can currently find on the market. These include the best cold weather sleeping bags under $100, as well as the best extreme cold weather sleeping bags for those looking for top-range options for extreme temperatures. We also have a buyer’s guide that will help you identify the best features.
- Best Cold Weather Sleeping Bags
- Buyer’s Guide
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Our Final Say
Best Cold Weather Sleeping Bag Under $100
- ☀MULTIPLE USE SLEEPING BAG : Our queen size sleeping bag with 2 pillows can be separated into two individual sleeping bags or 2 queen size blankets thanks to the wraparound zippers. No matter how you use it, whether you go outdoor or use it indoor, this double sleeping bag for adults will warm your tour and give you a good night sleep experience
- ☀LARGER THAN QUEEN SIZE : Roomy, rectangular shape provides maximum comfort and easily fits 2 people up to 7 FEET. Size: 61 by 90.6 inches (W x D), so lofty and wide even for two big and tall persons to have plenty of room to stretch out. The separated bottom zipper lets you ventilate the foot section for better temperature control
- ☀GOOD FOR EXTREME WEATHER : Our 2 person sleeping bag aims to help you stay warm and cozy even in cold weather condition. Double layer construction of 400 GSM innovation fiber filling is engineered for maximum warmth and a soft feel, which will give you enough padding and comfort to make you feel like sleep in the cloud
- ☀SLEEP COMFORTLY WITH PILLOW : A 220 G plush filling camping pillow is included for an at-home sleep experience in the outdoors. Contoured 3D hood construction with drawstrings allows internal adjustment to avoid heat loss while providing space for the pillow; Reversible locking antisnag zipper and draft tubes backing it work together to keep body heat in
- ☀REVOLUTIONARY STORAGE BAG : The large opening design of the compression sack facilitates the storage of the couple sleeping bag without tearing, the cover on the top strengthens watertightness. In addition, the portable handle on the sack makes it convenient to carry along for any outdoor adventures, camping trip, backpacking, hiking, or car tour
The MEREZA double sleeping bag is an excellent option for those who want to camp in colder climates. It is cleverly designed to act as either a queen-sized sleeping bag for two that can also be separated into either two queen-size blankets or be split into two individual sleeping bags.
This particular model has been designed to provide warmth without being bulky or heavy. The watertight storage bags make it ideal for hikers or campers who need to carry their belongings while still staying comfortable.
This sleeping bag is available in a 61 x 90.6 inches size range. It is made from smooth and waterproof 210T polyester taffeta outer material, combined with an inner thermal insulation polyester fiber.
The Mereza sleeping bag also comes with a comfortable camping pillow and perhaps best of all, this sleeping bag is machine washable too!
With a temperate rating of between 28-59 Fahrenheit, this sleeping bag may not be the warmest on our list but can certainly be a good fit for milder temperatures.
- Multi-use – This bag can be used as one large double sleeper, two individual sleeping bags, or can be unzipped and used 2 large blankets instead.
- Waterproof lining – this is great if you are looking for something to keep out that extra moisture. We would certainly recommend this for lakeside camping.
- Hood – this bag is designed with a 3D contoured hood construction together with drawstrings to help keep the bag nice and warm and avoid any loss of heat.
- Storage bag included – this comes with a bag that you can use to keep your tent in. This is really helpful if you have a lot of gear to carry.
- Temperature range – this bag is better suited to milder climates. The 35°F “Limit” temperature rating means that this is the lowest temperature at which an average adult male can comfortably sleep in this bag in a relaxed position.
- 【Big and Tall Sleeping Bag】:Extra large sleeping bag height：90 inch and width：40 inch,Extra wide sleeping bag can accommodate most people up to 7 feet in height.High-quality two-way zipper give you more comfortable camping experience.
- 【Winter Sleeping Bag 】:Cold weather sleeping bag for winter camping.Temp Rating:0℉-15℉,Comfort Rating:20℉-55℉.
- 【Comfortable & Warm 】:flannel lined and Innovative zipper draft tubesstay warm and comfortable all the night;Also has Thickened shoulder warmer belt and drawstring hood that keeps the your head and neck warm.
- 【Waterproof & Soft Fabric】:External premium Waterproof Soft Fabricl: 210T Polyester makes the sleeping bag waterproof,ultra soft and rip-stop, So it can keep you warm even in extreme weather and prevent you from any dampness.
- 【Buy with Londtren Assurance】 : Londtren is a brand paying attention to each details. We believe in our products, so every purchase comes with our 100% money-back guarantee. If you experience an issue with your product, get in touch with us for a replacement or refund. We will provide friendly, easy-to-reach support.
The Londtren Large 0 Degree Sleeping Bag sleeping bag is made from 100% polyester microfiber. This material is incredibly light yet strong.
This sleeping bag features a zipper closure system. This allows you to adjust the size of the sleeping bag as needed. The zipper can be found on the left side of the sleeping bag.
This sleeping bag is designed to keep you warm during cold winter nights. It is lined with a soft and warm inner flannel lining, making for excellent and comfortable insulation.
It also has a drawstring hood. This hood can be used to block wind and rain. It also protects you from insects.
This sleeping bag is machine washable. Simply hand wash it or put it through the washing machine. Use only non-chlorine bleach and mild detergent. Do not use fabric softener.
The Londtren Large 0 Degree Sleeping Bag comes with a 100% money-back guarantee. If you ever encounter any issues with your sleeping bag, you can request a replacement or a full refund.
- Temperature rating – this sleeping bag has a comfort rating of between 20°F-55°F, making it a great choice for colder climates.
- Easy to pack – this sleeping bag is very compact. It takes up almost no space in your backpack. When stored in the stuff sack, it weighs around 7.1 Pounds.
- Machine Washable – this sleeping bag is machine washable. Just hand wash it or put it through the washing machine on cold and tumble dry it at a low temperature.
Cons:Doesn’t include a pillow – this sleeping bag doesn’t include a pillow. If you plan to sleep on the ground, you might want to consider buying a separate pillow.
- SUPER WARM AND COMFORTABLE - You will love this sleeping bag! Want to sleep comfortably, anywhere? No need to suffer with a cheap, cold, tight sleeping bag! This quality, portable bag is perfect. Super sturdy and extremely comfortable.
- THIS SUPER SOFT, HUGE, WARM & COMFY SLEEPING BAG WILL LAST A LIFETIME – Economically and practically efficient with an impressive size of 87" X 59," this sleeping bag sleeps 2 adults with ample room and comfort.
- FOR COLD CLIMATE CONDITIONS [32° Up] - Perfect for hiking, camping, traveling & more! No ripping due to cramped conditions and no shivering due to heat loss. The compact carry bag makes it very convenient to bring this sleeping bag on any adventure. You’ll wish you found this years ago. Comes with 2 travel pillows!
- CAN BE USED AS TWO INDIVIDUAL SLEEPING BAGS - designed to be used as one large queen size sleeping bag or as 2 individual sleeping bags. Imagine the memories you’ll make with this.
- TOUGH AND DURABLE OUTER SHELL, SOFT SILKY EXTREMELY COMFY INNER LINING -The outer shell is made of super strong waterproof and camping grade polyester fabric, each square inch of fabric packs a 210 thread count, designed to last a lifetime in the most severe conditions. The inner lining is made of a textile combination of tetron and cotton for that awesome cozy feeling.
If you are looking for a double sleeping bag, then you should check out our Sleepingo sleeping bag. This sleeping bag is one of the most popular sleeping bags among backpackers and has a rating above 4.5 out of 5 with close to 15 000 ratings on Amazon!
This sleeping bag contains a durable and waterproof polyester outer casing with a 210 thread count. For a cozy and comfortable night’s sleep, the inner lining is comprised of a cotton and tetron combination.
For added convenience, the sleeping bag comes complete with two pillows and a high-quality portable bag.
This double 87 x 59 inches bag can either be used as one large-sized sleeper with ample space or can easily be converted into two individual sleeping bags too.
- Very comfortable – this sleeping bag is extremely comfortable.
- Durable – this sleeping bag is constructed using high-quality materials.
- Lightweight – weighing around 3 pounds, this is one of the most lightweight options on our list.
Cons:Temperature – this sleeping bag’s survival temperature rating is around 35°F, meaning it’s perfect for nights of 50°F and higher.
Best Extreme Cold Weather Sleeping Bags
- A Better Fit For A Better Night’s Sleep - This lightweight, mummy-style sleeping bag is a must-have for cold nights in the outdoors. To make sure you have extra room to stretch your feet, we’ve even constructed it with an anatomically shaped footbox for optimum warmth and comfort.
- Stay Warm And Dry On Damp Nights - Our Ironwood Sleeping Bag has been EN tested to provide warmth in temperatures as low as 20 degrees Fahrenheit. Made with 650-fill power down with Down Defender to improve water resistance, this bag is comfortable even in wet conditions. Additionally, its ground-level side seams and hood draw cord help regulate heat.
- Extra Features For Extra Performance - Snags are a drag. To prevent snagging, we’ve constructed this mummy bag with a snagless insulated draft tube and a full-length, locking YKK two-way zipper with anti-snag slider. A zipper garage also helps keep the zipper closed and away from skin.
- Innovating To Improve The Human Experience - Marmot strives to deliver best-in-class warmth, protection and ease of use on every product. This mummy sleeping bag features an internal stash pocket for easy access to small gear, as well as two hang loops and a stuff sack for convenient transporting and storage.
- We Have You Covered - With Marmot, we warrant every product we make to be free of manufacturer defects. The best part is you do not need to register your product. Our lifetime warranty covers you from the moment you purchase our apparel or equipment.
If you are looking for something cheap but effective, then the Marmot Ironwood 20F could be a good choice. The Marmot Ironwood 20 is a lightweight mummy-style sleeping bag that packs away perfectly into the stuff sack that is included.
This sleeping bag offers a high level of insulation and is suitable for temperatures below freezing.
This sleeping bag consists of 650-fill power down inner lining and has been designed with an anatomically shaped foot box and a clever hood design, meaning you will be snug and warm throughout the night.
The Marmot Ironwood 20 comes in two sizes, the regular or long size, and also comes complete with a handy internal stash pocket too!
Best of all, Marmot offers buyers a lifetime warranty on their products that kicks in from the moment you purchase the sleeping bag.
- Lightweight – This sleeping bag is light enough to pack away into a backpack. If you are planning on taking it on an extended backpacking trip, then this is definitely a good option.
- Cheap – this is one of the cheapest sleeping bags we found online for colder temperatures.
- Easy to set up – if you are trekking into the middle of the night and you want to get into your warm sleeping bag as quickly as possible, then we would suggest that you pick up this mummy-style model.
- Length – The regular size would be a comfy fit for most campers, but if you are on the taller side, then consider getting the longer size instead.
- 800-fill Nikwax Hydrophobic Down fill retains loft up to 60 times longer than untreated down. Absorbs 90 percent less water and dries 3 times faster without PFCs
- Top of bag is lined with lining to trap radiant body heat. Recommended for temperatures down to -20F/-30C
- Overlapping side vents open to allow arm use and customizable temperature control. Overlapping draft tubes prevent cold spots when zippers are closed
- Snorkel Hood controls frost created by breath and eliminates warmth-sapping cross drafts. Synthetic-filled snorkel resists moisture
- Regular size fits up to 6'0 inch height, and weighs 51 ounces. Packs to 16 x 6 inches, and storage sack and compression stuff sack included
We think that the Therm-A-Rest Polar Ranger is one of the best cold weather sleeping bags because it has been designed specifically for those who love to go camping in colder climates. It is ideal for anyone who wants to enjoy the outdoors while staying comfortable.
This sleeping bag is made from an outer synthetic material whilst the inner 800-fill Nikwax Hydrophobic Down fill is specifically designed to retain heat while also keeping out moisture in damper conditions.
It is designed to provide excellent insulation and warmth.
The Therm-A-REST Polar Ranger sleeping bag features a zipper closure system and two zippered chest pockets.
- Lightweight – this sleeping bag weighs just over 3 pounds. For most people, this will not feel too heavy when they are wearing it.
- Good quality – this sleeping bag is manufactured by Therm-A-rest, a company that specializes in outdoor gear. They know what they are doing so you can rest assured that this sleeping bag will last you for years to come.
- Extreme temperatures – this bag is designed for temperatures that can reach as low as -20F/-30C, making it ideal for extreme colder temperatures
- Expensive – this sleeping bag is one of the most expensive options on our list. Granted it is designed for extreme cold and as such would not be ideal for all types of campers.
- Rated to 25 F, the Boot Jack 25 features 600 fill DownTek PFC-Free Water-Repellent Down utilizing Bluesign approved chemistry, which maintains insulative value in the presence of moisture
- Our traditional down mummy bags deliver technical, lightweight performance to excel on and off the trail with high thermal value, compressibility, and comfort wherever you go; Traditional mummy shape allows for lightweight and increased thermal value
- Baffled construction; Contoured hood follows the shape of your head for a more comfortable fit; Breathable shell fabric with a water repellent finish; No-draft collar and no-draft zipper
- SPECS (Regular) - Packed weight: 2lb 2oz; Packed size: 8 in x 8 in; Fits up to 6ft tall; Mate together left and right zip bags; Exterior loops for hang drying or storage; Mesh storage sack & nylon stuff sack; Liner loops; Two-way zipper; Nylon rip-stop shell fabric with a water-repellent finish; Nylon taffeta lining
- Big Agnes believes that innovation is born from real-world product testing, and that gear should be pushed to its limits; We’re dedicated to making the best gear possible to help folks get outside and chase their dreams
If you are looking for a mummy-style sleeping bag, then Big Agnes’ Boot Jack 25 is a great choice. This sleeping bag provides plenty of space for you to sleep comfortably without feeling cramped.
This sleeping bag comes with 600 DownTek PFC-Free Water-Repellent Down which makes it super lightweight with a packed weight of 2lb 5oz, whilst also retaining great insulation at the same time.
You will have access to a mesh storage sack that allows you to store all of your belongings easily and it also comes with a handy nylon stuff sack.
The Big Agnes’ Boot Jack 25 is a mummy-style sleeping bag with a contoured hood that offers you a snug fit. The outer shell is also waterproof and the bag also boasts a collar and “no-draft” zipper for added insulation and comfort.
- Very comfortable – this sleeping bag is extremely comfortable to wear. It fits well and feels like it was custom-tailored just for you.
- Excellent insulation – this sleeping bag has 600 fill power down. This is one of the highest levels of insulation available if you want to stay warm at night.
- Waterproof – this sleeping bag uses a durable ripstop nylon material that is highly resistant to moisture. This means that you can use this sleeping bag even in wet conditions without worrying about getting damp.
- Not suitable for very cold climates – this sleeping bag is rated to 25°F. Whilst still catering for below freezing, this sleeping bag may not be as suited for extreme temperatures. For colder nights, we would suggest purchasing another type of sleeping bag.
- Mid-range price – This sleeping bag is slightly more expensive than some other options on our list, so it may not be suited to all budgets.
Buyer’s Guide – Choosing The Best Sleeping Bag For Cold Weather
When choosing a cold weather sleeping bag, remember to consider price, shape, warmth rating, and Amazon reviews. Fill types include goose down, synthetic insulation, water-resistant material, and others.
What Is The Warmth Rating?
The warmth rating refers to how much warmth the sleeping bag provides at different temperatures. A higher number means better insulation.
A good way to choose a sleeping bag is to look at the warmth ratings. Goose-down sleeping bags usually have the highest warmth ratings while synthetic sleeping bags tend to have lower warmth ratings.
A good rule of thumb is to go for a sleeping bag with a warmth rating between 5 and 7.
Does It Come With Draft Collars?
Another important factor to consider when choosing a sleeping bag is whether it has draft collars. Draft collars help keep warm air off your body.
You can find sleeping bags with draft collars for about $100.
How Big Is The Sleeping Bag?
Another thing to consider is the size of the sleeping bag. Some sleeping bags are designed to fit into specific backpacks.
Some sleeping bags are designed to be used as standalone sleeping bags. These sleeping bags are generally bigger and heavier than those designed to fit inside a backpack.
How Much Does It Cost?
One last consideration is cost. Good sleeping bags will typically run around $200 or less. However, for extremely cold temperatures you can expect to pay upwards of $500 for a top-quality cold weather sleeping bag.
Frequently Asked Questions – Best Cold Weather Sleeping Bags
There are many factors to take into account when choosing a cold-weather sleeping sack. You’ll need to think about the material construction as well as the type of camping that you like to do.
What Makes A Sleeping Bag Comfortable?
Comfort depends on several things including the type of filling (down vs synthetic), the thickness of the filling, the design and fit of the sleeping bag, and the weight of the sleeping bag.
Which Sleeping Bag Is Best For Your Needs?
That all depends on what you want out of a sleeping bag. If you’re looking for something lightweight, then a light synthetic bag may work well for you.
If you’re looking for something durable, then a heavy-down bag might be ideal.
Can You Use A Sleeping Bag In Place Of A Tent?
Yes, but there are some differences. For example, a sleeping bag is an enclosed space whereas a tent offers open air. Also, a sleeping bag is warmer than a tent since it keeps you warmer by trapping heat against your skin.
Of course, in extreme conditions, you will want to ensure that you have a well-insulated tent and make use of a suitable sleeping bag for these temperatures.
Are All Sleeping Bags Waterproof?
No, they aren’t all waterproof. However, most sleeping bags come with rain covers that protect the sleeping bag from getting wet. You can certainly check the product description to also ensure that you purchase a good moisture-resistant bag if you do intend to camp in the rain or may encounter wet conditions.
Our Final Say – Sleeping Bags Best For Cold Weather
Camping is without a doubt an incredible adventure, and doing so in colder climates certainly adds to the experience.
We hope that our list of some of the best cold weather sleeping bags has helped you to decide which one is the most suitable for you so you can make the most of your next cold weather camping trip!